Neural Logical Volunteer Information
The goal of this two week long summer program is to teach high-school students with a basic foundation in Python how to code a neural network in Keras. For more information on the specifics of Neural Logical please visit our Neural Logical page.
Volunteer applications are now open, and we will be accepting volunteers through June 19th.
Students will be learning:
- What is machine learning (example projects, common uses, etc)?
- An overview of neural networks starting from a single layer and walking through adding neurons, the math (multiplying matrices), loss functions, updating, etc
- We offer two paths: one that teaches the more complex math and one that is more theoretical, thus it is not necessary that you understand every mathematical step in neural networks
- However, we will be going in depth into backpropagation, activation/loss functions, gradient descent, etc
- Creating a feedforward neural network for a simple project to gain an understanding of features and implementation
- Creating a convolutional neural network to identify tumors in MRI imaging data
- Possibly teach a large group of students the concepts of neural networks
- Otherwise, act as a supporting volunteer to answer students in the chat or break out with students
- When broken out with students for one-on-one instruction, should be comfortable communicating concepts to the students
- Around 3 hours a day the week of the program with extra time if you would like to stay after and provide students extra instruction
- An hour a week on volunteer training in the weeks leading up to the camp
- An initial meeting with program director to determine your coding level provide extra training if needed
- Have a solid understanding of Python and neural networks with Keras and Tensorflow
- If your knowledge on a few of the concepts is spotty, we will be more than happy to teach you!
- Also, if you are not familiar with Tensorflow or Keras but have worked with similar libraries/frameworks, it may take extra time to transition but should not be a barrier to volunteering
Once you apply, you will receive a confirmation email letting you know that we have received your application. A follow up email will be sent out 2-3 days after we receive your application and interviews will begin in May.
- Help us develop and refine the activities and general curriculum for Neural Logical
- Create additional materials/props for instructors to use when teaching such as slides, interactive tutorial ideas, demo site ideas, and example deep learning projects
- Around 1.5-2.5 hours a week, but can be very flexible
- Meeting every other Tuesday at 5pm PT with whole curriculum team
- Optional discussions with entire organization once every other week
- Have a solid understanding of Python and neural networks
- Previous experience in Keras and Tensorflow (or be willing to learn/transition over)